Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Soaring Eagle Recycled Pallet Flag & Talons Out Honor Flight Adult Prom

PalletPalooza made a connection recently with Talons Out Honor Flight. This network of people fly World War II Veterans in and around Southwest Michigan to Washington, D.C. (at no charge to the Vets) to visit their WWII memorial.


They are having a fundraising event called an Adult Prom - how cool is that? If you had a good time at your prom and you want to do it again, or you had an awful teenage experience and want  a do over - this was your chance. I say was because they have sold out their event! Good for them - I look forward to pictures on their Facebook Page.  😊
They asked if PalletPalooza would like to participate in their silent auction and we said YES! It will be a great opportunity to share a pallet project and to encourage more people to know about recycling pallets and perhaps get involved in PalletPalooza™. We know that pictures of pallet creations are one thing, but seeing is believing!

My sister Diane and I collaborated on this piece on behalf of PalletPalooza™.


One thing to keep in mind. I struggled with the stars. My first attempt was creating a star stamp with a potato. (learn how to do that here: Fun Stuff to Do) It looked good for the first 10 stars, but after that my potato was getting a little soft and distorted with each stamp. Plus, a pallet is not smooth or even, but that is the charm of working with recycled pallets, so my stars were not aligning.
Here was my first attempt:


Thank goodness I had a good friend at work who said "if I am being honest, I would do the stars a little different next time". Now that is really a good friend, because she was honest and helpful and confirmed what I saw, that the stars were not good. 😐 It is okay! It is just recycled pallet wood, so I sanded off the paint from the field of stars and started fresh.

Using a stencil and stencil pouncer, my stars have aligned and I am really happy.

Thank you to Talons Out Honor Flight. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you in supporting our community in Southwestern Michigan!  

_________________________
If you love recycling pallets - you need to enter PalletPalooza™!

New to the Kalamazoo Area, this is an exciting recycled pallet creation competition and event.

Recycled pallets will be transformed into amazing projects from wall art to furniture.
PalletPalooza™ is celebrating the recycled pallet trend with a competition and awards event.
Visit our event website at PalletSWMI.com
PalletPalooza™ will benefit Goodwill Industries of Southwestern Michigan and its mission to provide employment, education, training, and support services to individuals and families so they can achieve self-sufficiency.

Stay up to date with PalletPalooza news and information and sign up for email updates: HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment